MUMBAI: Recognizing its R&R and outstanding contribution towards betterment of the society through Rehabilitation & Resettlement (R&R) programs, Mahan Aluminium, a unit of Hindalco Industries Limited at Singrauli, Madhya Pradesh has been honored with India CSR Community Initiative Award (India CSR Award) at mega India CSR Leadership Summit recently held at Mumbai on May 26, 2017 organized by India CSR Group.
The Resettlement & Rehabilitation (R&R) benefits are undergoing as per the agreement between Hindalco Industries Ltd. and MP Government. Land evacuation solely left to Hindalco by taking local Govt. Machinery. Time bound and measurable deliverables of all R & R Compliances took up the challenge and turned around the entire execution process smoothly and satisfying local pressure groups, political opportunistic and trust among the community members with take care of emotional attachment with their ancestor’s land and livelihood sustainability aftermath project.
Mahan smelter project comprises 360 KTPA Aluminium Smelter, along with 900 MW captive power plant. Located in Bargawan, in Singrauli District of Madhya Pradesh, this state-of-the-art facility has already started production and is ramping up as per the schedule. This smelter uses globally proven AP 36 technology with enhanced power efficiency and improved manpower productivity. The CPP set up by BHEL, constitutes six units of 150 MW each, with one of them acting as a stand by unit.
The area is largely dominated by the Schedule Caste (SC) and Other Backward Class (OBC) makes the IR situation more alarming. Above all, in 2008, during the construction phase of a field project of other Corporate, they faced large scale violence and damage to property by local community along with Project Affected People (PAP), due to Industrial Relations (IR) problem, which is still in the minds of the people of the surroundings.
To provide better opportunity to the PAPs, Mahan Aluminium has provided transport facilities on regular basis for more than 1200 project affected people viz. School Children, Labour engaged in the contractor and PAPs engaged in the ITI Training. These all steps help us to develop good relationship with villagers and giving equal opportunity.
Today R&R policy of Mahan Aluminium is an example and a benchmark for the industry which will take decades to beat by incorporating value addition actions likewise:
- Civil structure of R&R colony customized as per their requirement like open space for cattle etc;
- Uninterrupted availability of basic amenities like water, electricity, roads, multi-location connectivity of the colony, rerouting of public transport in consultation with concerned authorities;
- Reflection of local culture in house structure viz. sliding hut type concrete roofing;
- 24X7 direct communication with the beneficiaries, setting up of multi-location spokes and hub system like Jan Sunwai (Public Hearing);
- Administrative formalities of land transfer along with on the spot disbursal of compensation at their places;
- Vocational training to develop technical handiness in order to make them potential stakeholder in industrial development of the region;
- Appointing villagers as coordinator and making them partner of grievance handling and crisis management system;
- Flexible scheme for choosing houses at R&R colony;
- Participation of management in solemnizing their rituals, festivals and gifting on their ward’s marriage; and
- Periodical showcasing walk the talk by conducting community welfare programmes and opening community welfare centers like Balwadi, School, Animal Husbandry camp, total sanitation Programme etc.
About India CSR Leadership Summit & Awards
Prestigious and one of the largest CSR forum for the year 2017, the India CSR Leadership Summit & Awards was recently organized at Mumbai on May 26, 2017. The day long forum witnessed politician, social reformers, corporate leaders, CSR think tanks, academia and professionals of allied fields of CSR and social development. India CSR Awards is one of the prestigious recognitions that honours the outstanding and innovative CSR, Sustainability and Social enterprise projects and recognises leadership in CSR. The platform recognises individuals, organisations, corporates and projects that have made phenomenal impact to the society.
Ramdas Athawale, Hon’ble Minister of State for Social Justice and Empowerment, Govt. of India graced the forum as Chief Guest and delivered the keynote address. Bhiku Ramji Idate, Hon’ble Chairman, National Commission for Denotified, Nomadic & Semi-Nomadic Tribes, Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment, Govt. of India graced the valedictory session as Guest of Honour and addressed the large audience. Dr. Rajiv Kumar Gupta (IAS), Managing Director of GNFC, a PSU graced the summit as special guest and deliver keynote address. A recipient of India CSR Lifetime Achievement Award – Akbar Khan, Veteran Actor, Writer, Director, Producer; Chairman & Managing Director of Abraiz Petrochemicals Pvt. Ltd. graced the forum as Guest of Honour.