The NDHM will also help reduce healthcare costs, improve access to quality healthcare services, and ensure better transparency and accountability in the healthcare system.
National Digital Health Mission is a transformative initiative launched by the Indian Government in 2020. The aim was to establish a digital health ecosystem that is comprehensive, interoperable, and accessible to all citizens. Additionally, the NDHM aims to provide a health ID card to every citizen, enabling them to access their health records and information online and receive quality healthcare services. We will know more about NDHM in detail in this blog.
The NDHM seeks to facilitate the integration of healthcare services and information, which will help in improving the quality and continuity of care. It will allow for better medical records management and prevent duplication of tests or treatments. Additionally, the NDHM will make it easier for healthcare providers to access comprehensive patient data and provide personalised care.
The NDHM will also help reduce healthcare costs, improve access to quality healthcare services, and ensure better transparency and accountability in the healthcare system. Through the NDHM, citizens can access their health records quickly and securely, thus allowing for better decision-making and improved healthcare outcomes.
Objectives Of The National Digital Health Mission
The NDHM has several key objectives, including:
● Establishing a health ID for every citizen: The NDHM aims to provide a unique health ID card, enabling them to access their health records and information online. The health ID card, known as the “Abha Card,” will be linked to a comprehensive electronic health record (EHR) containing all the health information, including medical history, diagnoses, treatments, medications, and test results.
● Providing universal access to healthcare: The NDHM aims to make healthcare services easily accessible to all citizens, particularly those living in remote and underserved areas. The NDHM aims to enable citizens to access healthcare services remotely through digital technologies, reducing the need for in-person visits to healthcare facilities.
● Improving the quality of healthcare: The NDHM aims to enhance the quality of healthcare in India by leveraging digital technologies to enable more accurate and timely diagnoses, treatments, and follow-up care.
● Reducing healthcare costs: The NDHM aims to reduce healthcare costs by streamlining processes and eliminating inefficiencies through the use of digital technologies. By enabling remote consultations, it aims to reduce the burden on the healthcare system and lower costs for both patients and healthcare providers.
● Enhancing data security and privacy: The NDHM is committed to ensuring citizens’ health data privacy and security. The EHR system will have robust security measures to protect against unauthorised access and ensure individuals’ health information confidentiality.
Critical Components Of The National Digital Health Mission
The NDHM is made up of several key components, including:
● Health ID: The health ID is more like a unique number given to every citizen as part of the NDHM. It will contain all of the health information of a person. You can get it by using the health id card online apply process.
● Health Facility Registry (HFR): The HFR is a database of all healthcare facilities in India, including hospitals, clinics, and diagnostic centers. The HFR will enable citizens to locate and access healthcare facilities in their area and will provide information on the services offered by each facility.
● Personal Health Records (PHR): The PHR is a digital record of an individual’s health information that the individual maintains. The PHR will enable individuals to track their health and manage their healthcare.
● Health Management Systems (HMS): The HMS is a digital platform enabling healthcare providers to manage and coordinate patient care, including scheduling appointments, prescribing medications, and ordering tests. The HMS will also enable healthcare providers to access and update patients’ EHRs, enabling more informed and personalised care.
● Health Information Exchange (HIE): The HIE is a digital platform that will enable the exchange of health information between different healthcare providers, including hospitals, clinics, and diagnostic centers. The HIE will enable healthcare providers to access a patient’s complete medical history, even if the patient has received care from multiple providers.
● Telemedicine: Telemedicine uses digital technologies to enable remote consultations and care. Citizens living in remote and underdeveloped areas and those with mobility issues or at high risk for COVID-19 can take advantage of telemedicine.
How To Apply For A Health Id Card?
Citizens can obtain Abha ID through the NDHM website or a designated enrollment center. To apply, citizens must provide their personal details, including their name, date of birth, and contact information. They will also need to provide proof of identity and proof of residence. Once the application is approved, the individual will receive their health ID card in the mail. With their health ID in hand, citizens can access healthcare services offered by the NDHM.
The National Digital Health Mission is a groundbreaking initiative by the Government of India to provide citizens with access to quality healthcare. The NDHM aims to enhance healthcare quality, reduce healthcare costs, and improve data security and privacy by leveraging digital technologies. The NDHM comprises several components, including a health ID card, a health facility registry, personal health records, a health management system, and a health information exchange.
The National Digital Health Mission is a transformative initiative that aims to establish a digital health ecosystem that is comprehensive, interoperable, and accessible to all citizens. The NDHM aims to provide a health ID card to every citizen through digital technologies, enable universal access to healthcare, improve healthcare quality, reduce healthcare costs, and enhance data security and privacy. By applying for a health ID card and taking advantage of the services offered through the NDHM, citizens can improve their health and well-being and contribute to the overall improvement of the healthcare system in India.
Join our WhatsApp and Telegram Channels to stay updated with the latest CSR news and exclusive updates.
By donating to India CSR as you feel moved, you become more than a reader—you become a partner, a co-navigator charting the course for a more enlightened future.