MUMBAI: Godrej & Boyce, the flagship company of the Godrej Group, has always been committed to sustainable and smarter energy use to protect the environment. Aligning with this year’s Environment Day theme: Restoring Ecosystem, it is important that corporations recognise the need and align their sustainability initiatives to evolve as a synchronized positive force.
Over many decades, Godrej & Boyce has made significant investments and contributions towards both the environment and making its products, processes and businesses greener and more sustainable. The most recent one being its participation in the global EP100 initiative abiding by the belief that innovation and sustainability will promote their journey to decarbonisation, energy efficiency and promotion of a circular economy. The company is also aiming at reducing the carbon intensity of its operations by 60% by the year 2030.
The company plans to continue increasing its share of Good & Green products in its overall portfolio through conscientious raw material sourcing, environmentally responsible design and greener manufacturing processes. In line with making its products and processes greener, Godrej & Boyce also hopes to generate 30% of its revenues from Good & Green products in the future.
11 of Godrej & Boyce’s factories are GreenCo rated, of which 7 are ‘Platinum’ rated belonging to businesses like Godrej Appliances, Godrej Interio, Godrej Locks and others. Godrej Appliances’ Shirwal and Mohali manufacturing units are the first in India to receive the highest recognition of GreenCo Platinum Plus rating by CII for being ‘Lean & Green’
Through its ‘Good & Green’ vision, the Company, is committed to creating a more employable workforce, building a Greener India and innovating for good and green products/services. Here are some of the commitments, achievements and practices by Godrej & Boyce that fulfill its long term vision for playing a key role in creating a more inclusive and greener India:
- In 2020, Godrej & Boyce committed to smarter energy use. The Company joined the EP100 global business revolution whereby the company committed to doubling energy productivity by 2030 and further aims to reduce carbon intensity by 60% by 2030
- The energy productivity for the Company, in the last 10 years, has nearly doubled (+96%)
- All of Godrej & Boyce’s manufacturing activities across locations are ‘Water Positive’ and nearly ‘Zero Waste to Landfill’ by diverting >99% of non-hazardous waste from landfill. The Company will continue to be so in line with their vision for sustainability.
- The first company in India to introduce Refrigerators, free of CFC, HFC & HCFC. Also the first Company in the world to produce Air Conditioners that has a ‘Zero’ Ozone Depletion Potential (ODP) and minimal Global Warming Potential (GWP).
- In their journey towards Carbon neutrality, G&B has already reached the halfway mark, off-setting 48% of their carbon footprint in the last 10 years.
Besides the differentiated sustainable practices in processes, product innovation and manufacturing, the Company has always been in the forefront of preserving the biodiversity in the country owing to its initiative to protect hundreds of acres of mangroves in Mumbai and through the Naoroji Godrej Centre for Plant Research which over the last 5 years, NGCPR has been actively conserving about 90 endemic plant species at their garden in Shirwal, Maharashtra.