Road congestions, poor infrastructure, and people not abiding by the traffic safety rules tend to expose bike riders to danger. Hence, it is vital to have a comprehensive bike insurance plan with accidental cover. India happens to be one of the largest two-wheeler consumers across the globe. But the country is also home to maximum road accident rates.
Every day, over 400 people lose their lives in a road accident. To ensure that people abide by the traffic safety rules, the government has imposed hefty penalties in the New Motor Vehicle Act of 2019. But unfortunate events can take place anytime, anywhere. There is nothing much that you can do to avoid it. If you die in such an unfortunate event, your loved ones will be emotionally devastated.
What you can do is to ensure that your loved ones are financially secured, even in your absence. While many of you might have adequate life insurance to take care of these needs, your bike insurance can help compensate as well. All you have to do is buy a personal accidental cover with your existing comprehensive bike insurance plan.
Why Personal Accidental Cover Necessary?
The following are a few reasons why you should consider buying personal accidental cover –
- If you die in an unfortunate accident, the cover offers compensation to the dependents. However, you should have a valid driving licence on you to be eligible for the said benefit.
- In case you are disabled in an accident (whether it is temporary or permanent), it affects your career and income. This can cause financial distress in the family, especially if you are the sole income earner. With personal accidental cover, you will receive 100 percent compensation in case of permanent disability caused in an accident. In case of partial or temporary disablement, the compensation amount depends on the insurer.
- The cover also provides hospitalisation cash benefits in case you are hospitalised for a long time after an accident. The maximum period it offers daily cash benefits is 50 days.
- Many insurers also offer 24×7 bike roadside assistance to ensure that you have quick access to services in case of an accident. From medical assistance to towing the bike, everything is covered in the bike insurance plan.
Things That Are Not Covered
You cannot make a claim on the personal accidental cover in case of –
- The accident occurs when you (the driver) is under the influence of alcohol or other drugs
- Death or injury is caused due to the negligence of traffic safety rules
- The accident was a deliberate act to siphon off the insurance claim
A personal accidental cover is a good enhancement to your comprehensive bike insurance plan. Apart from this, insurers in India offer several other add-on covers for a nominal price. You can buy zero depreciation cover, no claim bonus protection cover, engine protection cover, etc. to enhance the coverage of the policy. Know that you should buy only those covers that you think can come in handy during difficult times.