MUMBAI: Prestigious and one of the largest CSR forum for the year 2017, the India CSR Leadership Summit & Awards was recently organized at Mumbai on May 26, 2017. The day long forum witnessed politician, social reformers, corporate leaders, CSR think tanks, academia and professionals of allied fields of CSR and social development.
India CSR Awards is one of the prestigious recognitions that honours the outstanding and innovative CSR, Sustainability and Social enterprise projects and recognises leadership in CSR. The platform recognises individuals, organisations, corporates and projects that have made phenomenal impact to the society.
Ramdas Athawale, Hon’ble Minister of State for Social Justice and Empowerment, Govt. of India graced the forum as Chief Guest and delivered the keynote address. While giving inaugural address to the large gathering Hon’ble minister outlined the key social and economic challenges being faced by weaker sections of the society.
He said that weaker sections are deprived from basic facilities and infrastructure and there is urgent need to give special attention for their upliftment. He appealed the corporate sector to launch special CSR projects to address the contemporary challenges of weaker sections of the society.
Shri Ramdas Athawale presented India CSR Awards to the leading corporates for their exemplary contribution to the society at large. He said, “I am happy to be part of the function that pushes and encourages addressing larger social issues. I wish all the winners a great success in their current and future endeavours”.
Bhiku Ramji Idate, Hon’ble Chairman, National Commission for Denotified, Nomadic & Semi-Nomadic Tribes, Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment, Govt. of India graced the valedictory session as Guest of Honour and addressed the large audience. While addressing Hon’ble Idate gave overview of socio-economic conditions of Nomadic and Semi-Nomadic Tribes in various part of the country. He emphasized that lots of work and efforts are required to educate these community. He said that poverty and living conditions are badly impacting their life particularly the children. He also appealed the business leaders to think over these issues while designing CSR programme for larger well being of the people.
A recipient of India CSR Lifetime Achievement Award – Akbar Khan, Veteran Actor, Writer, Director, Producer; Chairman & Managing Director of Abraiz Petrochemicals Pvt. Ltd. graced the forum as Guest of Honour. He gave a very emotional talk on contemporary socio-political scenario of the country. He said that the social harmony is key to development and it should be maintained by every citizen. Talking about life journey, he shared his memories regarding struggle during carrier and said that his life is full of struggle and challenges.
In his welcome address Rusen Kumar, founder of India CSR said that CSR is a wonderful platform to create social change and bring about social justice ensuring basic rights for a dignified life for all. It is high time that all stakeholders in the CSR space believe that vibrant CSR ecosystem is critical for survival and strengthening of CSR. It is critical to get all relevant stakeholders under one roof, be it government, public and private enterprises, academic institutions, and media in strengthening the CSR ecosystem. He said that the need of the hour is to get the entire ecosystem together and focus on making CSR ecosystem a more vibrant place. A robust CSR ecosystem gives level playing field for everyone and every size of the enterprise. The role of India CSR Network is to nurture such platforms and forums. He also added that CSR will be a tool for underprivileged to get social justice and Sustainability department will write the charter for Company’s vision and mission shortly.
Dr. Rana Singh, Co-Founder, India CSR Network said that in the last three years after the mandated CSR law, Corporate India and social organization have shown the world how a law can be put in a right perspective for societal development, and we at India CSR are confident that the journey will take corporates to become a responsible and sustainable organization. India CSR Leadership Summit & Awards is a unique platform where we honor the innovative ideas, success stories, social change agents and leaders, CSR practitioners and implementing partners, who made a difference to the community. CSR is an extension of achieving sustainable development goals in a more structured way. CSR has the potential to address the socio-economic and political inequalities.
Eminent guests: Dr. Rajiv Kumar Gupta (IAS), Managing Director, Gujarat Narmada Valley Fertilizers Company Ltd (GNFC); Roberto Taiariol – CSR Head and Chief Audit Executive, Benetton Group; Vikas Sharma, CEO & Director, Bharat Aluminium Company Ltd (BALCO); Ratan Kumar Somani, Head & President- Mahan Aluminium, – Hindalco Industries Ltd.; Sunil Ramdas Agrawal, Patron India CSR Network and CMD, Hill-Brow Metallics & Construction Pvt. Ltd. also addressed the forum and also brought innovative ideas for the CSR fraternity.
Other esteemed think tanks who were featured at the forum are: Rajesh Dhabare, Director General, BARTI-Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Research & Training Institute-Pune; Dr. CS Kedar, IAS Retd, CEO, JSW Foundation, JSW Steel Ltd, Ballari; Sir Dr Huzaifa Khorakiwala, CEO, Wockhardt Foundation, Executive Director, Wockhardt Limited; Ms. Mohini Daljeet Singh, CEO, Max India Foundation; Manu Lavanya, Managing Director, Brillio Technologies; Anupam Nidhi, CSR Leader; Prof. V. Reddappa Reddy, Academician, Renowned CSR Author; Ashis Mondal, Director, Action for Social Advancement (ASA), Bhopal and S.R. Mishra, General Manager-CSR & Environment, THDC India Limited, Rishikesh.
Launching of CSR Books
CSR Book ‘Exploring CSR – Fundamentals and Implementation’ Authored by Shri Ravi Raj Atrey and Book ‘Six Essential Steps in Implementing CSR’ Authored by Dr. V. Reddappa Reddy & Dr. C. Dheeraja were launched by eminent personality at the function.
India CSR Leadership Awards-Corporate Large Impact were presented to below listed organizations:
- India CSR Innovative Project of the year [Large Impact] to Neem Project of Gujarat Narmada Valley Fertilizers & Chemicals Limited (GNFC)
- India CSR Project of the Year Award [Large Impact] [Jury] to Mission Against Malnutrition of JSW Steel Limited, Ballari
- India CSR Project of the Year Award [Large Impact] to NandGhar Project of Vedanta Limited
- India CSR Sanitation Leadership Awards [Large Impact] to Cairn India, Oil & Gas, Vedanta Limited
Below listed India CSR Honour/Awards (Excellence in CSR and Social Services) were presented to eminent personalities:
- India CSR Lifetime Achievement Award (Film and Society) to Akbar Khan, Veteran Actor, Writer, Director, Producer, Chairman & Managing Director of Abraiz Petrochemicals Pvt .Ltd.
- India CSR Lifetime Achievement Award (Medical) to Dr. Ramesh Badlani, Chairman, Modern Dental College & Research Centre, Indore
- India CSR Lifetime Achievement Award (Media) to Abhishek Karnani, Director, Free Press Group of Newspapers
- India CSR Lifetime Achievement Award (Agriculture) to Ashis Mondal, Director, Action for Social Advancement (ASA), Bhopal
- India CSR Person of the Year Award to Mohini Daljeet Singh, Chief Executive, Max India Foundation, Max India Group
- India CSR Leadership Award to Manu Lavanya, MD, Brillio Technologies
- India CSR Leadership Award to Roberto Taiariol – CSR Head and Chief Audit Executive, Benetton Group
- India CSR Leadership Award to DK Mehta, Unit Head, JK Lakshmi Cement Limited, Durg
- India CSR Humanity Award to Sir Dr. Huz, CEO, Wockhardt Foundation
- India CSR Green Leadership Award to Dr. CBS Sengar, Head Environment Management, Bhushan Steel
- India CSR Professional of the Year Awards to Rushin Patel, CSR, HDFC Bank Limited
- India CSR Professional of the Year Awards to Yashwant Kumar, Head CSR, Mahan Aluminium
- CSR Authors Awards to Nayan Mitra, Dr Rane Schmidpeter, Dr. V Reddappa Reddy, Dr. C Dheeraja, Maheswar Sahu, Jeevan Prakash Mohanty, CA Bimal R Bhatt
- India CSR Dr. Velaga Memorial for Innovative Library Services to Dr. Rishi Tiwari, Librarian, BIMTECH Greater Noida
India CSR Community Initiative Awards to innovative CSR project of the Corporate/Corporate Foundation were presented to below listed organizations:
- Aditya Aluminium Lapanga Sambalpur for project KSHYAMTA under the category of Women Empowerments
- Aditya Birla Financial Services Group (Birla Sun Life Insurance) for SAKSHAM: Education to Child with Disability under the category of Education
- Astarc Group (Kishor Musale Charitable Trust) for E-Learning (Computer Literacy Programme) under category of Education
- Benetton India Private Limited for Aarohi: Wings of Empowerment under the category of Women Empowerment
- Brillio Technologies for Tech for Education under the Category of Education
- Dell International Serv. India Pvt. Ltd. for improving learning in Govt. Schools through technology integrated teaching under the category of education
- Dow Chemical International Pvt. Ltd for Jaipur Foot Initiative under the category of Disability
- Essar Foundation for UNMUKT Programme under category of Disability
- Federation of Hotel and Restaurant Association of Western India for Pickle Project under Women Empowerment
- Glaze Trading India Pvt. Ltd.- Galway Foundation for Galway Foundation Digitalya under the category of Education
- Goodyear India Limited for Safer Roads, Safer You under the category of Road Safety
- Hindalco Industries Ltd., Unit – Mahan Aluminium for Rehabilitation & Resettlement under the category of R&R
- Indraprastha Gas Limited Building Bonds through Gender Sensitization under the category of Gender Sensitization
- Jindal Steel & Power Ltd, Angul for Promotion of Martial Art (Wushu and Kickboxing) under category of Sports Promotions
- JK Lakshmi Cement, Durg for Project ‘More Sangwari’ – Women Empowerment Programme under category of Women Empowerment
- JK Lakshmi Cement, Jaykaypuram for Naya Savera, an integrated family welfare Programme under the category of Health
- Mahindra Insurance Brokers Limited for Women on Wheel Programme under the category of Women Empowerment
- Microsoft Corporation India Pvt Ltd for Youth Spark Programme under the category of Technology in CSR
- Panasonic India Pvt Ltd for Ratti Chhatr Scholarship Programme under the category of Education
- PVR Nest for CineArt Steer to Safety – India’s Largest School led initiative on Responsible Road Behaviour
- Reliance Foundation for Technology solutions for disaster response Programme for the community in Madhya Pradesh under the category of Disaster Response
- Renew Power Ventures Pvt. Ltd. for Traditional Knowledge to Conserve Water – Jaisalmer under category of Water Security
- Sasan Power Limited (Reliance Power) for An un parallel story of Rehabilitation & Resettlement at Sasan UMPP under the category of R&R
- Spark Minda Foundation for Project Saksham: Care for person with Disabilities, Efforts towards building an inclusive world under the category of Disability
- Tata Capital Financial Services Limited for Dhan Gyan under the Category of Financial Literacy
- Tesco Bengaluru Pvt. Ltd for CSR Month under the category of Employee Volunteering
- THDC India Limited, Rishikesh for Healthcare Initiative for Deprived under the Category of Health
- UPL Limited for Vasudha Programme under the category of Bird Protection-Rare Species Conservation
- Vedanta Limited, Lanjigarh for project Aajeevika under the category of Sustainable Livelihood
- Yes Foundation for YES! I am the Change under the Category of Media for Social Changes
NGO Leadership Awards
- Aroh Foundation for Uttam Gram Project under category of Village Development
- PM Shah Foundation for Sanitation film BASIC under the Category of Cause Awareness
- Humana People to People India for Urban Community Development Programme
Special India CSR Awards
- India CSR Awards for Sports Promotion [Disability] (Cash Prize of Rs. 50,000) to Deaf Cricket Society, New Delhi
- India CSR Awards to Dinesh Kumar Sain, Captain of Indian Cricket Team for Physically Challenged (Cash Prize of Rs. 25,000)
- India CSR Awards for Sports Promotion [Disability] (Cash Prize of Rs. 25,000) to Cricket Association for the Blind of Maharashtra.
About India CSR Awards
This year’s theme for the India CSR Awards is ‘Celebrating Innovation and Leadership in CSR’. India CSR Awards have been instituted to recognize the innovative CSR Practices in India and this is the 5th edition of India CSR Awards.
CSR Awards is one of the prestigious recognition honouring the outstanding and innovative CSR, Sustainability and Social Enterprise Projects and leadership in CSR.
This year forum was supported by United Colours of Benetton, Vedanta-Balco, GNFC, Aditya Birla Group BIMTECH Greater Noida, Stem Learning Pvt Ltd, Robotics, Free Press Journal, Education Softtech Pvt Ltd, Cartoon Watch and Pehel, the CSR arm of Dainik Jagran Group.