Six Months After Fatal Pashamylaram Blast
HYDERABAD: Telangana Police have arrested Amit Raj Sinha, Managing Director & CEO of Sigachi Industries, in connection with the deadly industrial blast at the company’s Pashamylaram unit in Sangareddy district, an incident that claimed 54 lives. The arrest was made late Saturday night in Hyderabad, marking a major development in a case that has remained under intense public and judicial scrutiny for months.
Arrest Followed High Court Pressure
A senior police officer from the BDL Bhanur Police Station, Sangareddy, confirmed that Sinha—listed as Accused No. 2—was arrested and produced before a magistrate.
“The CEO, Amit Raj Sinha… was arrested last night (Saturday). He was produced before the magistrate and has been sent for 14 days judicial remand to Kandi Central Jail. There are a total of six accused in the case, all from the company,” the officer said.
The arrest comes after repeated observations by the Telangana High Court, which had questioned why no top management personnel had been arrested months after the incident despite witness statements and preliminary evidence.
The Blast That Killed 54 Workers
The tragic incident occurred on June 30, at Sigachi Industries’ facility in the Pashamylaram industrial area. The explosion reportedly originated in the dryer unit, where temperature and pressure allegedly built up due to poor maintenance and inadequate cleaning.
Authorities and technical experts cited serious safety lapses and negligence at the plant as key contributing factors to the disaster.
The blast resulted in the death of 54 workers, including eight people whose mortal remains could not be retrieved, making identification and closure extremely difficult for their families.
Police Case Against Company Management
Following the explosion, police registered a criminal case against the company management under multiple sections of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita (BNS) relating to safety violations, negligence, and culpable acts.
Police said the investigation remains open, and officials are continuing efforts to identify all individuals responsible.
“The investigation is continuing to identify all individuals responsible for the failures that led to the disaster,” the officer added.
Expert Committee Blames Management Negligence
A state government-appointed technical expert committee concluded that the explosion occurred due to negligence by Sigachi Industries management, adding weight to allegations of systemic failures in safety protocols.
Victims’ Families Still Await Major Share of Compensation
Even six months after the tragedy, the families of many victims—mostly migrant workers from Bihar, Odisha, Uttar Pradesh, West Bengal, and other states—are reportedly still waiting for nearly 75% of the promised compensation.
Families have held protests at the Labour Commissioner’s Office at RTC Crossroads, demanding the pending amount of the promised ₹1 crore compensation, which was assured by the state government and the company.
Official Press Statement From Sigachi Industries
Following the arrest and judicial remand, Sigachi Industries issued an official statement:
“We would like to inform all stakeholders that in respect of the unfortunate fire incident, the police registered an FIR against our Managing Director & CEO, Amit Raj Sinha, and others under certain provisions of the BNS. As per procedure, he was presented before the appropriate court as per procedure and has been remanded to judicial custody.”
The company said it is cooperating with the legal process while ensuring its rights are protected:
“We are cooperating fully with the legal process while also ensuring that our rights under the law are respected.”
Sigachi also stated that updates will be shared subject to legal advisories since the matter is sub judice:
“We will keep all concerned parties informed as and when there are meaningful developments in the case, subject to legal advisories given the matter is subjudice.”
The company reiterated its commitment to victims and their families:
“We reiterate our unwavering support for the families of the deceased, those who were injured, and everyone impacted by this unfortunate incident. Equally importantly, our commitment to fulfilling all our responsibilities remains steadfast.”
