Jaipur: Vedanta’s Hindustan Zinc Limited (HZL) signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with the Rajasthan Cricket Association (RCA) for the development of world’s 3rd largest cricket stadium in the village Chonp in Jaipur. Vedanta’s HZL will spend INR 300 crore on the stadium, one of the largest corporate investments in India’s sports infrastructure. The stadium will be named “Anil Agarwal International Cricket Stadium, Jaipur”.
The MoU was signed by Shri. Bhawani Shankar Samota, Honorary Secretary, RCA and Mr. Arun Misra, CEO, HZL, in the presence of Dr. C.P. Joshi, Hon’ble Speaker, Rajasthan Vidhan Sabha and Chief Patron, RCA; Ms. Priya Agarwal Hebbar, Chairperson, HZL and Non-Executive Director, Vedanta Ltd. and Shri. Vaibhav Gehlot, President, RCA. The stadium facilities will be spread across 100 acres and have a seating capacity of more than 75,000. Only Ahmedabad’s Narendra Modi Stadium and Melbourne Cricket Ground have larger seating capacity than this stadium. In terms of the size of playing field area, this stadium will be largest in the world.
On this occasion, Dr. C.P. Joshi expressed happiness at the generous offer from HZL and signing of the MoU. He said that this would accomplish the long-felt dream of constructing a modern international cricket stadium at Jaipur. He thanked Sh. Anil Agarwal and Ms. Priya Agarwal Hebbar for their support for the first phase of the stadium. He hoped the second phase of the stadium would also be supported by Vedanta. He said the new stadium would help develop new cricketing talent. He also hoped that Vedanta would help young entrepreneurs to come up in Rajasthan.
Shri Vaibhav Gehlot, President, Rajasthan Cricket Association highlighted the history and achievement of RCA. He warmly welcomed Ms. Priya Agarwal Hebbar for joining the important function. He profusely thanked Sh. Anil Agarwal, Chairman, Vedanta Group for extending support towards the construction of the stadium. He hoped that similar support would be forthcoming for the construction work of the second phase and also thanked the State Government for allotting 100 acres of land for the stadium at concessional rates. He expressed his gratitude to Dr. C.P. Joshi, Chief Patron, RCA for the continuous support extended by him in this journey.
Kumar Sangakkara, Head Coach of Rajasthan Royals expressed happiness at the construction of the proposed stadium. He hoped that this venture would give encouragement to new talent.
Vedanta Chairman, Shri Anil Agarwal, shared his vision for this contribution, “Sport gives us the best life lessons in leadership, teamwork, competition and hunger to succeed. If India’s youth participate wholeheartedly with energy and passion – nurtured by world class infrastructure – they will become an unbeatable talent pool. Vedanta dedicates this stadium and its facilities to new India. Let’s play.”
Speaking at the occasion, Priya Agarwal Hebbar, Chairperson, Hindustan Zinc Limited and Non-Executive Director, Vedanta Ltd. said, “Cricket is a national passion. We are proud and privileged to have the opportunity to set up this world-class facility which will benefit players and spectators. India has huge potential as a sporting nation. Vedanta and HZL are committed to creating a best-in-class enabling environment for the flourishing of our country’s talent and interest in sports.”
The stadium will be completed in phases. A 40,000 capacity is set to be completed by October 2023. The overall project of first phase will cost Rs. 400 crores, out of which Rs. 300 crores will be borne by HZL and the remaining Rs. 100 crores will be taken care of by RCA. The stadium will have an indoor games facility, training centers for other sports, a clubhouse, and parking for 3,500 vehicles.
The Anil Agarwal International Cricket Stadium will host national and international matches, including games of the Indian Premier League. The stadium and its facilities will help the development of Rajasthan as a major hub for cricket and other sports.
- Some highlights of the new stadium are:-
- A WORLD CLASS INFRASTRUCTURE AS PER BCCI AND INTERNATIONAL STANDARDS
- Biggest cricket playing field in the world.
- One of the world’s biggest cricket stadiums with a seating capacity of 75,000. (2nd largest in India and 3rd largest in the world)
- Spread over 100 acres (4,04,685 sqm) biggest playing area.
- Well connected via Delhi-Jaipur Express Highway.
- Offers ample activity space.
- 11 match-level pitches besides practice pitches.
- Two separate practice grounds with small pavilion areas.
- Four dressing rooms for players so that back-to-back games can be played on the same day.
- Two podium concourses at different levels at the stadium periphery for smooth movement of spectators and services.
- Grand pedestrian entry – ramps and stairs for smooth entry and exits.
- Ample parking.
- 38 VIP corporate suites.
- 36 VVIP corporate suites.
- One presidential suite.
- 4 RCA suites.
- 2000 premium corporate seats.
- VIP function/banquet and dining space of 1900 sqm.
- 415 seats for broadcasters and commentators.
- 340 seating capacity for media.
- 280 wheelchair seats as per green guide for disability.
- B. World class cricket training academy with residential facilities. It will have two practice ground with 5 pitches each. In addition, there will be 20 indoor pitches for outdoor net practice. A small pavilion and gym for players will also be set up.
- C. Five-star hotel and convention centre.
- D. Club house with indoor sports facilities and sports outlets.
Join our WhatsApp and Telegram Channels to stay updated with the latest CSR news and exclusive updates.
By donating to India CSR as you feel moved, you become more than a reader—you become a partner, a co-navigator charting the course for a more enlightened future.