India CSR News Network
MUMBAI: According to the Annual Status of Education Report, 2014 (ASER), 45% of Indian schools do not have access to a toilet or there are toilets that students cannot use and, so, must urinate or defecate in the open in or near schools. Various report says that at middle and high schools, there is a correlation between the lack of toilets and drop-out rates.
Study by a national NGO revealed that in over 60% of the schools surveyed, students avoid using the school toilets. The main reason for this is lack of hygiene or (in the case of girls) privacy.
On 15th August 2014, Prime Minister, Narendra Bhai Modi announced the Swacch Vidyalaya Abhiyan, the Clean Schools Movement to build separate toilets for 137.7 million boys and girls at schools nationwide. In response to Hon’ble Prime Minister’s clarion call for a clean India under the ‘Swachh Bharat Abhiyaan’, UPL Limited has decided to take cause of school toilet.
UPL Limited has a goal to facilitate healthy and hygienic behavior in students by construction of good quality and environment friendly toilets in school and has objectives to provide access to toilet facility and empower students to use the services hygienically and sustainably, to Increase access to and hygienic use of sanitation facility and to educate community by making school toilet block as hub for good sanitation practice in community.
- Construction of best quality hygienic toilet in school (Separate for Girls and boys).
- All toilet connected with bio gas pit and Gas to be used in School Science lab / Aaganwadi and waste water from bio gas pit to be used for school greening.
- To integrate software activity like puppet show, Paint for a cause etc. to ensure ownership with students and teachers.
- Hygienic behaviour goes back to house, society and village.
Construction of Toilets
|Construction completed in 9 schools|
|VAPI, District Valsad. Gujarat||Paria Prathmikshala, Paria Mukhyashala, Sarondhi Mukhyashala, Kherlav Mukhyashala, Nanawaghchipa Mukhyashala, Umarsadi Mukhyashala, Namdha Sport Complex, Vapi Railway Station|
|District Samba, J&K||Govt Higher Sec School, Vijaypur|
|Construction in progress in 8 Schools)|
|VAPI, District Valsad. Gujarat||Vatar Mukhyashala, Balitha Mukhyashala, Goima Prathmikshala, Rohina Kendrashala, Tarmalia Prathmikshala, Dungra High School, Khuntej Mukhyashala|
|District Samba, J&K||Govt Higher Sec School, Ramgarh|
|Work to be started after Monsoon in 5 Schools|
|VAPI, District Valsad. Gujarat||Vapi Nagarpalika School, Amli Highschool|
|Ankleshwar, District Bharuch, Gujarat||Kharchi Prathmikshala, Nava Kasia Prathmikshala|
|HALOL, District – Panchmahal, Gujarat||Gopipura Mukhyashala|
- Organised 10 Kathputli Natak for school children and rural community. A total of 1071 school student attended said programme.
- Interactive session on sanitation for school children. A total of 400 hundred student from three school benefitted.
- Wall Painting (Paint for a Cause) on Sanitation in three school targeting more than 400 students
- Screening documentary on sanitation to create awareness in six school.
- Nukkad Natak on Sanitation for rural community and student. 1400 student & community people attended same.
- Counselling session for community and school children regarding waste management, open defecation & other sanitation issues.
- Hand Washing Training at Paria and Sarodhi School.
Students detail against project completed (till June 2016)
|Sl.No.||Name of School||Village (Block)||Number of Student||Total|
|1.||Paria Mukhyashala||Paria (Pardi)||128||140||268|
|2.||Paria Prathmikshala||Paria (Pardi)||44||56||100|
|3.||Sarondhi Mukhyashala||Sarondhi (Pardi)||58||47||105|
|4.||Kherlav Mukhyashala||Kherlav (Pardi)||161||180||341|
|5.||Nanawaghchipa Mukhyashala||Nanawaghchipa (Pardi)||35||38||73|
|6.||Umarsadi Machiwad Mukhyashala||Umarsadi (Pardi)||121||171||292|
|7||Govt Higher Sec School, Vijaypur||Vijaypur, Samba||300|
|8.||Namdah Sport Complex||Namdah, Vapi||During Inter College Sports Meet, the participant will avail the facility||Approx. 300 Hundred (+) Participant|
|9||Vapi Railway Station||To be used by around 2000 person daily|