INDIACSR News Network
JAMSHEDPUR: The closing ceremony of the Road safety week (celebrated in Tata Steel from 1st Jan to 7th Jan, 2013) was held at Steelenium Hall, Tata Steel today.
Mr. Sanjiv Paul, VP (Corporate Services), Tata Steel graced the occasion as Chief Guest while Mr. P N Singh, President Tata Worker Union, Tata Steel was present at the function as Guest of Honour.
At the outset, Mr. V N Gaikwad, Chief, Safety and Ergonomics, Tata Steel welcomed the gathering and gave a brief introduction about the road safety week. He briefed about the events which spanned throughout the week and the overwhelming response received from employees and contract employees across Tata Steel.
Mr. Sanjiv Paul in his address speech underlined the importance of road safety in view of increasing trend of road incident. He explained about the multidirectional efforts taken by Tata Steel and the long term plan focusing on infrastructure facility in Jamshedpur and how collective efforts have brought visible change in the organization for safety. He also explained on the seriousness of Tata Steel’s top management for safety where incident and injury cases are discussed in Board of directors meetings.
He emphasized the need to be disciplined on road and how focus must be on training and motivation with scope of consequence management for every violator. He appreciated the efforts made by transport partners during the week and asked mega contract partners to take ownership in this journey.
Mr. P N Singh also put forth his views on road safety. He remarked that Road safety is driven by Tata Steel involving all employees but individual discipline is important while on road and how company can grow only when safety is in place. He also emphasized how enforcement of rule along with motivation should be the first priority.
Mr. T Roy Choudhury, Head, Equipment Maintenance Services, Tata Steel delivered the vote of thanks.
Following programmes were conducted throughout the week under the guidance of Apex Rail & Road Safety sub-committee:
1. Presentation of Nukkad Natak in 50 important locations, inside and outside plant.
2. Positive reinforcement on road was conducted and recognition was done on the spot.
3 Awareness programs were conducted in Transport Nagar & JMD parking area.
4. ‘On the spot Quiz’ competition was organized for encouragement & awareness of employees.
5. Online quiz competition through intranet was organized, in which more than 3000 participants participated.
6. Poster competitions were held to bring out varieties of ideas through pictorial language.
7. ‘Road hazard hunt’ competition was held to identify the problems on road.