Do Well To DO Good And DO Good To DO WELL
A study from Harvard Business School found that“high-sustainability” companies from 1992 – 2010 did better in terms of profitability and stock-market performance than the rest.
In a recent survey conducted by Mckinsey, the top three reason that 3500 global execs cited for addressing sustainability and how the trends are changing:
- The percentage of those who cite reputation/ regulations has stayed steady since 2010 (36 percent)
- The figure for those who see sustainability as a way to align the company’s goals has more than doubled (to 43 percent)
- Operations and lowering costs has declined as a reason (from 33 percent in 2011 to 26 percent
2015 United Nations Climate Change Conference, COP 21 was a game changer where developing countries like India promised to reduce emission intensity by 33-35% by 2030 and the role of corporations in making this happen will be highly talked about in 2017.
We will see companies going beyond regulatory compliance and government mandate and becoming a tremendous force for good.
I have listed the top ten drivers for Business sustainability in the year 2017:
- Business Case for Sustainability – Top Management Mandate
- Operational Efficiency
- Labor Satisfaction
- Corporate Citizenship
- Brand Value and Recognition
- Supply Chain
- Circular Economy
- Social Licence to operate
- Invisible Stakeholder engagement
- Institutional and Individual Investors concerns and demands
The mantra for 2017 going to be “Act Responsible and Think Sustainable and my next blog would focus on the role of people and culture in Sustainability. “Triple bottom line… it always makes sense. But we need to make it cultural”.
(Abhishek Ranjan is Global Head – Sustainability and CSR at Brillio Technologies)
Copy Right & Conditions: India CSR does not permit other websites/Agency to copy or reproduce or reprint the above article in any form.
Disclaimer: The views expressed by the author in this feature are entirely his own and do not necessarily reflect the views of India CSR.