IndiaCSR News Network
MUMBAI: Tata Power Company Limited has invested Rs. 13.154 Crores in CSR activities and reached out to 210 villages which benefited around 281,878 people during the financial year 2014-15, Tata Power Community Development Trust (TPCDT) said in its Annual Report for the year 2014-15.
Total CSR Spend and Beneficiaries Distribution
|Trust Area||% Spent in CSR||Beneficiaries Distribution in %|
With head office in Mumbai, Tata Power Community Development Trust has its community development project locations spread across Maharashtra, Gujarat, Tamilnadu, Karnataka, Odisha, Jharkhand and West Bengal.
One of the crucial facets of the natural resources is Energy. TPCDT is consistently working towards increasing the access to clean energy amongst communities. Trust works with various entities of TATA Power to maximize its reach. All its interventions aim to include maximum remote areas where the need is felt the most. By using green fuels, households obtain benefits of efficient waste disposal, usage of green and clean energy and healthy lifestyle for the women and children. Installation and maintenance of solar streetlights and micro solar grids for basic electricity needs, thus forms and important part of community development activities in the energy vertical.
Here are major highlights of the interventions
- Biogas Plant: 14 latrine-linked biogas plants has been setup in Champi and Basulia areas under Haldia Municipality in West Bangal with the community participations.
- LPG Connection: TPCDT joined hands with the forest department in the Mavel Catchment village near Pune. Forest Department has come up with an LPG connection scheme for the tribal and backward families in the area. Trust contributed 10% of the total project cost, which includes 223 connections, benefiting 1350 tribe members. The initiative has also helped ease the lives of women who no longer need to travel long distance for procuring firewood.
- Biogas: The tribal hamlets of Thokarwadi and Shirwata lake region in Maval, Pune, faced the problem of sourcing fuel for cooking. The high dependency on firewood resulted in fast depleting forest cover. Trust in collaboration with Govt and the community installed 30 biogas units, of the total 100 proposed. Rs 6500 per unit were contributed by the Trust and rest were contributed by the community members.
- Promotion of Smokeless Chulha in area of Dherand and Shalpur in the Aligaug Taluka of Raigad District.
- Solar Power: TPCDT powered a neighborhood village at Maithon, with solar streetlights. 96 streetlights were installed and 62 streetlights underwent maintenance. Working with the community of Trombay and Chembur, in Mumbai, total 52 solar streetlights were installed across 12 urban localities, benefiting 56,100 people.
- Water: Non-functional tube wells, hand pumps and check dams are repaired and maintained, so the remote area which are totally dependent on these do not face a water crisis. Water initiatives focus on school and villages that lack access to safe drinking water and have no proper infrastructure to source water as well.
- 23 hand pumps have been installed and 3121 people are estimated to be the beneficiaries of this intervention.
- A tube well has installed will benefit 1000 villagers.
- This year 5 RO plants in vallges and 2 RO plants in school were installed. Now, 18558 villagers and 385 students have access to drinking water.
- TPCDT also distributed 528 water purifires in Mulshi Catchment area, benefiting 7,133 villagers.
- In Haldia 130 Tata Swachh Water purifier were installed across primary school of seven villages.
- Mannat BPO has been established at Khopoli, Pune aims to provide employment opportunity to rural youth.